NE Ski HistoryOver the past 132 years, Maine has emerged with one of the richest skiing traditions in the United States - from the Swedish settlers of the late 1800's to the explosion of skiing interest in the early 1900's and the Olympians of the last 50 years. We will look to bring some of those stories to life through our website as only Maine ski historian Glenn Parkinson and some of the more experienced skiers of Maine can.
Look here for regular installments from Glenn and other writers that will celebrate the people, places and events that have made the skiing lifestyle in Maine so special through the ages. We also encourage you to get a copy of Glenn's book on the history of skiing in Maine, First Tracks by contacting Ski Maine Association at: 207-761-3774.
Please select a title from the list below.
• Our Swedish Heritage - as told through New Sweden native Ralph Ostlund
• Playing in the Great Snow Empire
• A hearty welcome is waiting for you in Fryeburg
• Hardy Veterans of the Waxed Runners Hurtle Into Space
• Rumford hosts the 1950 World Championships